skip to content

Student Support


The University Counselling Service (UCS) supports students who are experiencing personal, relational or academic concerns.  

The UCS aims to offer students an initial 75-minute appointment within 10 working days. 

Average waiting times for an appointment at the UCS were 3 working days in Easter Term 23. 

How to access counselling 

Making an initial appointment 

To access our service, complete our online referral form. You only need to complete this form once per academic year. 

We will offer you the next available appointment slot. If you cannot attend this appointment, please let us know as soon as possible. We can only make two initial appointment offers. Please prioritise counselling appointments as healthcare appointments. 

Please let us know if you are a student on a course that involves a professional placement that limits your day-time availability. This includes medicine, veterinary medicine or PGCE. We are able to offer online appointments at 5pm from Monday-Thursday in those cases. 

After each session 

Your counsellor will ask you to engage in a five-stage process: 

  1. Reflect - upon the content of the session 

  1. Digest – and assimilate your learning and experiences from the session 

  1. Act – upon your learning/experience 

  1. Wait – we suggest taking two weeks, or more, so change can take effect; however, if you feel you need support sooner, please get in touch 

  1. Decide – whether you require a follow up session 

This model of counselling is called ‘One at a Time Therapy’. The aim of this model is to provide therapeutic support at the point of need, rather than having to wait.  

We may also signpost you to other forms of practical, emotional or psychological support: 

  • support from wellbeing/mental health services external to the university 

  • or you may decide you need another One at a Time Therapy session. 

Making follow-up appointments 

If after two weeks, or more, you decide that you need another session, please email your counsellor/therapist directly to book. Follow-up sessions are usually 50 minutes long. 

If you would like to change your counsellor/therapist, please email

After four sessions, your counsellor will review what the appropriate next steps are. This could be continued support from the UCS or, if longer term support or treatment is required, your counsellor will signpost appropriately.  

Who can access individual counselling at the UCS? 

This service is available free of charge, all year round to all students currently registered at the University. This includes: 

  • undergraduate students 

  • postgraduate students 

  • students of the theological colleges 

For students who are abroad, we offer 30-minute emotional support sessions, due to regulatory limitations. The purpose of these sessions is to help you to consider ways of managing your current situation. 

Unfortunately, the service is not able to support: 

  • students who are intermitting from their studies  

  • visiting students from other universities 

  • University and College staff, who can access counselling from the Staff Counselling Centre 

What to expect from individual counselling 

Our counsellors/therapists will help you to discover strategies, insights and behavioural changes that can support you to overcome your most pressing concern. A concern can be anything that is having an adverse effect on your wellbeing and studies. 

Can I request a specific counsellor? 

Yes, you can request to see the counsellor you've seen before. You can also request to see a female or male counsellor, or request an ethnic minority counsellor. 

Where will my counselling session take place? 

You can access either: 

  • online counselling sessions via MS Teams 

  • in-person counselling on the 3rd floor of the Student Services Centre 

While we will try to accommodate all in-person requests. You may be offered a remote appointment if that enables you to be seen more quickly.    

What if I need psychological treatment or long-term therapy? 

If you need specialist treatment, your GP can refer you to NHS/specialist services. We can also provide you with information about how to find a private counsellor or therapist. 

Contact the team

You can contact the University Counselling Service by email on

Groups and workshops running in Michaelmas Term

An overview of groups and workshops is provided in our leaflet.