skip to content

Student Support


Concerns about money can affect all areas of your student experience. If you need financial help while studying at Cambridge there is a wide range of support available and a number of people you can talk to.


Firstly, make sure you’re getting the most out of the funds you have available. Advice is available from independent sources about good ways to work out your budget and plan your spending, for example the Money Saving Expert student budgeting planner. Cambridge SU provides financial advice including some Cambridge-focused money saving tips.

Loans, bursaries and awards

There’s a range of financial help available to students at Cambridge, including government student loans for tuition fees and living costs, the Cambridge Bursary Scheme (Undergraduates), and College awards.

Financial difficulties

If you find yourself in financial difficulties during the course of your studies, the first step is to talk to your College. Some Colleges have a finance officer but in all cases you can ask your College Tutor or Senior Tutor who you can talk to about financial concerns. There may be some financial support available from the College – in which case they can help with information on that – and they will also be able to provide you with support to access University Financial Assistance Funds, and can assist with any application you may make.

University Financial Assistance

A number of funds are available from the University to meet various needs. A table setting out the funds is available on the Cambridge students page.

You can also use this flowchart to find out which fund would be best suited for your needs.

Student Advice Service

The Student Advice Service can give you free, impartial and confidential advice on funding, and can help with navigating funding applications at the University too.