skip to content

Student Support


Our student support services are working to develop and continuously improve our support provision, referral pathways to the NHS and specialist services, and resources in partnership with staff and students across Cambridge. As part of this agenda, we are driven to provide support that is informed and shaped by our diverse student and staff communities.

This webpage captures information on services and resources for our student community across a number of areas. We would warmly encourage you to also check at your College for further details on support available, and please note the Cambridge SU Student Advice Service can also offer free, confidential and impartial advice to all our students.

If you are a Cambridge student or staff member and have feedback or suggestions for this page, please feel welcome to let us know as we build and improve our resources.

Accessibility and disability

The University of Cambridge is an inclusive university with more than 5000 disabled students currently studying across all 31 Colleges and every School. The Accessibility and Disability Resource Centre (ADRC) offers a confidential and accessible service for all disabled students supporting access to your teaching and learning during your time at Cambridge. We are a student-centred service, committed to supporting disabled students to achieve to their academic potential. Please see the ADRC website linked above for full details, visit our FAQ section, or if you need to ask a question please email
The Cambridge SU Disabled Students’ Campaign is a community of disabled students offering support, resources and information that may help you.
The University’s Code of Practice for Disabled Students sets out our expectations for the support provided at the University for disabled students. This is updated annually.

Support for students identifying as Black, Asian or a minoritised ethnicity

Our services are committed to creating a culture of inclusivity, diversity, and equity for all staff and students. The University’s Student Support Services are available to all students identifying as Black, Asian or a minoritised ethnicity. Students accessing counselling are more than welcome to request a counsellor identifying as Black, Asian or a minoritised ethnicity if you would prefer when requesting an appointment. For more information visit the Student Support Website.
There are a range of people who can help whether formally or informally should you ever experience any incident of racial harassment or discrimination during your time as a student. In all cases, please know support is available for you at the University and your College.
The Black Advisory Hub  has been established to help build a diverse and inclusive community for all students and staff members at the University of Cambridge as part of the institutional action to improve Black students' outcomes at Cambridge.
The Cambridge SU BME campaign is led by BME students and provides community, support and resources for BME students.  
The University joined the Advance HE's Race Equality Charter in 2016 and received the REC Bronze award in November 2019. The Race Equality Charter (REC) is a national scheme that provides a framework for higher education institutions to recognise, investigate and challenge barriers to recruitment, progression and retention of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic staff and students. You can find out more on our Race Equality Charter pages.
External resources:

LGBTQ+ student support

The University Student Support Department is committed to supporting our LGBTQ+ student community, and to delivering services that are supportive, inclusive, respectful, safe and continually listening and improving in the interests of students. 
Cambridge SU LGBT+ Campaign represents and supports the needs of LGBTQ+ students at Cambridge University. They coordinate a group of LGBTQ+ Officers in J/MCRs who support students in college and run events.

External resources:
Direct Support Services;
Galop: Supporting LGBT+ people who have experienced abuse and violence.
Gendered Intelligence: a support line for those who need information and emotional support while waiting for gender affirmative healthcare.
The Kite Trust Access free support for LGBT+ people under the age of 25, with one-to-one support and dedicated social groups.
Switchboard: an LGBTQ+ confidential helpline.  
TrueVision: Information and resources on reporting LGBTQ+ hate crime in the UK.

Directories for Therapists or Counsellors:
Gendered Intelligence directory of therapists and counsellors: This directory is a listing of members of Gendered Intelligence’s Network for Therapists and Counsellors who wish to offer their services to trans people (and their families and partners).
Gendered Intelligence Trans Youth Groups: Information about youth group sessions run by Gendered Intelligence.
Pink Therapy: Pink Therapy has an online directory of therapists who work with people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer or questioning, and people who are gender- and sexual-diverse (GSD).

Information, resources and networks:
Imaan: Imaan is a charity that supports lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer or questioning (LGBTQ) Muslims, providing an online forum where people can share experiences and ask for help.
National Health Service: LGBTQ+ Mental Health Support information.
Regard: Regard is a national organisation of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender and queer people (LGBTQ) who self-identify as disabled.
Spectra Trans Services: Services and information for trans and gender diverse people, including counselling, mentoring, and social groups.
The University has produced Thinking Globally, which provides information for LGBTQ+ staff and students working and studying at home and abroad.
Trans Unite: Transgender & Non-Binary Support Groups

Care-experienced and estranged students

We offer a wide variety of support for care-experienced and estranged students. We are working to provide even more.  

Our Student Support Services are available to all care-experienced and estranged students. In addition, there are the following resources: 

Financial support 

Financial support options are available via the Cambridge Bursary Scheme. The Bursary webpage has a dedicated link for the financial support. This is available to care-experienced and estranged undergraduates. There are also links to need-based financial support. Your College or programme of study may offer additional support. It is worth checking in with them too. 

Postgraduates also have sources of funding available to them. The Cambridge Trust provides several financial awards annually to postgraduates. Your College or programme of study may also offer additional support. It is worth checking in with them if you are in need of additional funding. 

The UCAS guide to financial aid can help you through the process of exploring your aid options and applying for funding. 

Social and mentoring support 

Cambridge SU's Class Act campaign works to support students from underrepresented backgrounds. This includes students who are care-experienced or estranged. The campaign is run by students, for students. 

The University’s Realise Project supports care-experienced and estranged students through events and mentoring. Contact Realise if you need advice about how to access any type of support within the university. 

Stand Alone is a national organisation that works to promote awareness of estrangement. The organisation also  provides support for estranged people. Stand Alone have some useful guides about both understanding and coping with estrangement. 

The Unite Foundation sponsors the This is Us initiative.  It supports care-experienced and estranged students. This initiative also includes an online support network for students to speak to each other, organise meetups, and much more.  

Additional sources of support 

Concrete Rose is a local charity that provides supported lodging to young people. If you are concerned about your living situation after you finish university, Concrete Rose may be able to help you. For support with lodging during university holiday periods, please contact your College. Concrete Rose also works with the University’s Realise programme to provide mentoring for care-experienced and estranged students.  

The EaCES Handbook is a guide to student life.  It has been written by care-experienced and estranged students themselves. This is a useful way to find advice about a wide variety of student life issues from people who have experienced them already.  

Students with caring responsibilities

If you are a student with caring responsibilities and would like to talk about any impact this has for your studies or student experience, please be encouraged to let your Tutor or Senior Tutor at College know, or reach out to our Student Support Services for support.
Please see the UCAS guide for students with caring responsibilities, covering areas such as:

Student parents

If you are a student with children you can find details about support available to you on the University Childcare Information Service website including family accommodation, childcare services and finance.

The University Childcare Office can help with advice about nurseries, support for parents, holiday clubs and local schools, and government financial support. 

The University has a helpful guide about parental (maternity and paternity) leave and outlines the process for taking a break from your studies if you or your partner are pregnant or adopting. Speak to your College Tutor for more information.

Contact the Student Support Services