skip to content

Student Support



We welcome feedback from students who use our services and regularly ask students for their views. You are also welcome to send feedback to  


We hope that our services meet your needs. However, we recognise that there may be times when you may be unhappy about aspects of the service that you receive.  

We welcome complaints and won't treat you differently if you do complain. It is vital that we are aware of any criticism or concerns about our services, as this enables us to improve our performance and to ensure that any failures in our services do not disadvantage you.  

How you can make a complaint about our services 

If your concern is straightforward, it may be quickly addressed at local level. We would encourage you to raise concerns with us informally first: 

  • Speak or write to the relevant member of staff directly 

If you are dissatisfied with the service you have received, a good first step is to talk directly to the member of the team who is working with you. This is often the easiest and most effective way to put things right for you and address your concerns.  

  • Contact the Head of Service 

Sometimes talking to the individual member of staff does not resolve the matter or does not feel possible or appropriate in the first instance. In that case, you can raise the issue with the Head of Service. They will agree a timeframe and appropriate plan of action with you. 

If informal resolution has not worked or is not appropriate, you can make a formal complaint: 

  • Raise a complaint with the University 

Where the matter is serious or where you remain dissatisfied, you can raise a formal complaint with the University. You need to raise complaints within 28 days of the matter occurring or within 28 days of the completion of local resolution to ensure an effective remedy can be put in place.   

  • University Counselling Service: raise a complaint externally 

The UCS work to the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (BACP) Ethical Framework. You can also make a complaint directly to BACP.  

Where to go if you have a complaint or problem related to your University experience 

If you are unhappy with the experience you have received from any other University department, faculty, service or staff member, you can find information on the Students Complaints Procedure on the Office of Student Conduct, Complaints and Appeals website

You might find it helpful to talk to the Student Advice Service for free, confidential, and impartial advice on any problems you might experience as a student. 

Contact the Student Support Services